UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA: PA SURGICAL RESIDENCY PROGRAM
The PA Surgical Residency Program is an intensive 12-month program, available to four residents per year, administered by the UF Department of Surgery. Clinical duties are performed at UF Health Shands Hospital.
UF is unique in that we are the first postgraduate PA Surgical Residency Program in the southeast region of the US. We are a high volume tertiary care referral center with exposure to a complex patient population and a very wide breadth of pathology. Our educational infrastructure and state of the art facilities makes us confident that we will be able to mentor and nurture physician assistants to be fully capable of taking care of the most complex surgical patients.
OUR AIM: Our program provides an educational and nurturing environment to educate and enable physician assistants in providing care for the most complex surgical patients. We aim to help physician assistants develop keen judgment and technical abilities in different aspects of surgery, thus increasing their confidence in their chosen specialty. Additionally, PA residents will obtain clinical and didactic knowledge that would take years of on-the- job training to obtain thus opening avenues of more professional opportunities to them with increasing autonomy and responsibility.
OUR MISSION: Our program is dedicated to innovation and the future of medicine by creating proficient and dedicated physician assistants capable of administering exceptional patient care in the surgical environment at a high volume tertiary care referral center.
CURRICULUM: Clinical Rotations: Residents will rotate on the following clinical services:
- General Surgery – 6 weeks
- Transplant Surgery – 6 weeks
- Acute Care Surgery – 6 weeks
- Critical Care Surgery – 6 weeks
- Cardiothoracic Surgery – 6 weeks
- Vascular Surgery – 6 weeks
- Pediatric Surgery – 6 weeks
- Elective Rotation (may choose from Plastic Surgery, Neurosurgery, ENT, Urology, Orthopedic Surgery or any of the above) – 6 weeks
Simulation Lab Sessions: Residents will participate in monthly simulation activities, such as:
- Introduction to surgical instruments and knot tying
- Wound V.A.C. placement
- Suture Lab
- CVL (Central Venous Line) placement
- FAST (Focused Assessment with Sonography in Trauma) examination
- Ortho Casting and splinting workshop
- ACLS Code protocols with simulation
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy workshop
- Laparoscopic anastomosis workshop
- Wet lab (porcine model)
- Robotic Surgery Simulation Lab and hands on training
Didactic Sessions: Every PA surgical resident will attend a weekly structured interactive didactic session (101) that introduces the residents to all aspects of General Surgery over the year. In addition, service specific educational and preoperative didactic conferences are also conducted during their clinical rotations.
Certification: Every PA surgical resident will be provided ATLS / ACLS certification upon completion of their PA residency.
Each resident will be provided:
- One surgical textbook
- One suture kit
- Two lab coats
- Access to SCORE (Surgical Council on Resident Education) curriculum
- PA surgical residency manual
- A designated PA mentor during the year
- Stipend is equivalent to a PGY1 Surgery Resident Salary with health and malpractice insurance coverage
For further details, please contact:
George Arnaoutakis, MD
Program Director, UF PA Surgical Residency
Department of Surgery
University of Florida College of Medicine
PO Box 100109
Gainesville, FL 32610-0287
Office: (352)-265- 0761
Fax: (352)-265- 1060
For more information, please refer to our website below: http://surgery.med.ufl.edu/education/pa-surgical- residency/program-information/