Mayo Clinic school health sciences offers a 1 year Advanced Heart failure and Heart Transplant physician assistant medical fellowship and a 1 year Cardiothoracic Surgery Physician Assistant surgical fellowship. One fellow is accepted per track per year.
The medical heart failure in heart transplant fellowship allows for experience in the 4 main sure components of heart failure evaluation including etiology contributing factors, hemodynamic status, appropriateness of therapy to relieve symptoms, prevent disease progression, and prevent an expected mortality. Also thoughtful triage for surgical intervention or end of life care.
The goal of the program is to provide specialized training to motivated physician assistants who are interested in pursuing careers in advanced heart failure and heart transplant or cardiothoracic surgery.
Our mission is to:
- Expand the physician assistant fellowship opportunities in the United States that focus on advanced heart failure and heart transplant cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery.
- Develop a potential pool of physician assistants with advanced training who would be eligible for employment within our own system, if there is an opening, or at any transplant center within the United States
- Allow the highly trained physician assistant to be employed in the community with expertise in the management of advanced heart failure in a general cardiology setting, and to allow the cardiothoracic surgery physician assistant to gain employment in any cardiothoracic surgery center.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
Mayo Clinic has two campuses in Arizona. The Phoenix campus of Mayo Clinic includes the state-of-the-art Mayo Clinic Hospital, the first hospital entirely designed and built by Mayo Clinic. It has been recognized several times by Phoenix magazine as the Best Hospital in Phoenix.
Mayo Clinic’s campus in Scottsdale, Arizona, is centered around a beautiful, five-story outpatient clinic. This modern facility contains extensive exam rooms, an outpatient surgery center equipped for general anesthesia, a full-service laboratory, a pharmacy, a patient education library, an endoscopy suite, and a 188-seat auditorium for patient, staff and student education programs. Services in numerous medical and surgical disciplines are provided, including outstanding programs in cancer treatment and organ transplantation.
During the fellowship, a majority of your time is spent at the Phoenix campus.
Graduation and certification
After successfully completing this fellowship, you receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
For the majority of the fellowship, your learning schedule includes 10- or 12-hour days, four to six days a week. These times will vary to include nights and weekends. The average workweek is 40 to 50 hours.
Each year, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admits up to one student to the Advanced Heart Failure and Heart Transplant Physician Assistant Fellowship. This ensures that you receive tailored instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.
How to apply
The program begins in September.
The application cycle for each track is November 1 – April 1.
- Online application. Complete the online Application for Admission. After you create an account in ApplyYourself, sign in and select Application for Admission. Do not select Lite Application.
- Supporting documentation. Submit these materials:
- Transcripts from your physician assistant school
- Three letters of recommendation, which may be submitted as part of the online application or, if completed offline, must be received by Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences in a signed, sealed envelope
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
Send any required materials that are not submitted online directly to:
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
13400 E. Shea Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
- Interviews. Selection is based on grades, work background, volunteer experiences, personal statement and leadership qualities. Individuals considered for an appointment will be invited for an in-person interview.
- Acceptance. The candidate selected for the fellowship will be contacted by phone. Appointment letters will be mailed by mid-June.